Everyone has a story.


On my first night in the Scilly's I was unexpectedly on my own and managed to get dinner at the Tregathern Hotel and sat next a lovely couple who come every year in September and May. They were heading off to Tresco the next day and that's where they usually go.  I asked them about how they got here and they had come by helicopter. To get here you can come by plane,  helicopter or the vomit comet- a flatbottomed ferry. The more often you come the more likely you may get stuck,  hence everyone's got a story..... it feels like we already had one with Sacha's nearly not being able to come.  However,  little did we know our story was to come!


After a party where the kayak lead was also the band entertainment and another few more steps walked as the venue was the Old Town, this did mean we discovered the hospital and school on our travels! We were tucked up in bed ready to get up pack have brekkie and go to the airport. Though the whole time in the back of our heads the bad weather was lurking,  I was trying to stay positive. 


As we said goodbye to our Readi-tent, it did a good job-  we were already beginning to wonder whether we would be back to stay in it, flights were being canceled and our destination was in fog....and technically Sacha was booked on two flights and I was on none!


We had breakfast got on our shuttle bus and gained the first bit rumourmill info that suggested either way we might get of the island. The driver explained how the airline block books/puts on hold ferry seats in the case of bad weather, where they can that is! Which explains why the ferry was already full when I looked yesterday. However they only had enough spaces for the flights up to 1330ish and are two seats were currently aplit over 1310 and 1345! Eeeeekkkkk.

After that there is no travel on a sunday so you are here until at least Monday!

We climbed out the shuttle saying we would no doubt be back.

Back we were after some administrative confusion of initally only one booking then they discovered the second booking still both in Sachas name, that sorted, then there was the obligatory waiting foe our flight time to then be cancelled and then rush for the queue of all 12 people as thats all thats on the plane and then be given our ticket for the ferry, aka vomit comet.

So we had a bit of a scour around for some sea sick pills and bands as the horror stories of the ferry made us queasy already.


While the weather didn't play ball for the flight it did for the ferry and was a relatively calm crossing blessed with dolphins. On docking this is followed by the bun fight of baggage collection a bit like the past swim hunt your bag fun.  Where they are grouped but as soon as there is a many people a bags is hard to see anything.  


 Then we went for dinner at a rather cool restaurant called 47 East Street I think. With some Padron Pepper impersonators that blew my head of yet Sacha largely dodged the apicy ones somehow and while a most of the staff looked old enough we definitely had a child serving us drinks which was very strange! But even more exciting Sacha had Moules and came out with two pearls albiet miniscule


We then called one of the 4 cabs in the town to take us to our YHA. Almost a proper bed....bunk beds! No fights as ti who got top bunk as we booked a room for 4 for ourselves. He he not quite hostelling it fully. On the above of our van duvet we pre booked a can for the morning but even that was a struggle,  didn't fancy the 30+min walk with our bags that aren't really rucksacks even if we could convince ourselves it would be downhill.

The train journey was relatively straightforward apart for about 40mins before we changed at Westbury when it became beyond rammed and I was amazed at how that was allowed this did put us off waiting for the train to hamble and instead we caught a taxi that was equally unique in that we then went via the pizza shop to pick up food for the drivers daughter! I mean we did get a top tip for good cheap pizzas should we be more in Southampton!


And home........ to two meow meows weaving between my legs and acting like they had never been fed!


The post event and post holiday blues are strong. I always struggle with them. To go from having a pal,  permanent company a goal ridiculous or not to then  washing and chores. I think it's the human company and just conversation I miss while the cats mean I am not completely lonely without Walnut is hard to bothered to get up and leave the house. 


It's hard to remember and take hold on to the joy of my animals , my ridiculously big and beautiful dahlias the abundance of tomatoes and squashes, Luffas I have found lurking and the trombocinos growing in the garden and the life I have here in Hamble with catch up drinks and badminton and hockey and sailing. 

I have yet to work out the psychology of it and it is when I am at my weakest and prone to entering something else stooopid! Though might have to wait a year or two before I convince Sacha.  

But watch this space the fingertips have been wandering.........


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When did things get so scary

It's a revelation

A plank versus a boat